Hopefully by now, we all know the benefits of using whole grains in baked goods for both nutrition and flavour. You can do no better than this mix of 7 organic grains to add a fullness to your favourite bread recipes. This 7 Grain Bread recipe is sure to become one of those favourites, as it is ours.
1 cup Grainworks seven-grain cereal
2 cups boiling water
0.5 cup tepid water for yeast
3 tsp active yeast
3 cups Grainworks Unbleached White Flour
1.75 cups Grainworks Whole-wheat Flour
4 Tbsp of honey
4 Tbsp melted butter
1 Tbsp table salt
0.5 cup Grainworks rolled oats
- Pour the boiling water over the seven-grain cereal and set aside for about an hour.
- In a larger bowl combine the Grainworks unbleached white flour, whole wheat flour and salt.
- Add yeast to tepid water.
- Once the cereal has cooled to 100F mix in the yeast, honey and butter.
- Combine all the ingredients and mix the dough. Knead for about 6 minutes, if the mix is too dry add some more warm water or if too wet add some flour.
- Cover with plastic wrap and let the dough rise in a warm spot until double in size.
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- When the dough has risen cut the dough in half and shape into two loaves. Set aside and wait until the loaves have doubled in size. Spritz with water or oil and roll loaf in the Grainworks rolled oats and place into oiled bread pans.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes at 375F.
- Cool in pans for 5min before turning the loaves out onto a cooling rack.