Fruit crumble is an easy versatile spring-time favourite among dessert lovers that can be made from seasonal local fruit such as apples, peaches, and berries, or from canned or frozen fruit varieties. Check out our healthy no-bake breakfast variation on the sweet and savoury dessert; enhanced with Grainworks organic wheat flakes, Shredded Coconut, and the ancient hearty Hulled Millet seed.
Commonly enjoyed throughout the world as porridge, millet is a small mild flavoured gluten-free grain that is as versatile as it is delicious. It can be used to be made into breads, soups, flat breads (common in India to make roti– a staple flat bread), brewed to make beer, and can also be popped and enjoyed as an antioxidant rich and healthy snack.
MILLET AND PEACH BREAKFAST CRUMBLE INGREDIENTS:
1/3 cup of raw uncooked Grainworks millet (yields to about 1 cup fully cooked)
1 tbsp butter
2 cups of Grainworks organic wheat flakes
1 cup of Grainworks shredded coconut
1 tbsp vanilla extract
2 ripe peaches, or one can of sliced peaches with juice (if using fresh peaches add 1 cup of unsweetened peach juice) *can substitute peaches with apples, or pineapples.
zest of one lemon
2 pinches of salt
1. In a small pot bring water, a pinch of salt, and millet to a boil; cover; add one tbsp of butter; simmer on low for 20-25 minutes, or until all water is absorbed.* to achieve a nuttier millet flavour we roasted the millet on medium high in a cast iron skillet for 5 minutes.
2. Place 1 cup of Grainworks organic wheat flakes on bottom of lightly-oiled 9” x 9” baking dish.
3. Layer peaches and shredded coconut on top of Grainworks organic wheat flakes.
4. When millet is done, blend with below ingredients on high speed until creamy:
1 cup of hot, cooked millet
1 cup peach juice
1 tbsp vanilla
½ tsp salt
½ tsp grated lemon rind
*for an even creamier option; blend ¼-1/2 cup of coconut cream while blending.
5. Pour 1/2 of the mixture over peaches. Add another layer of wheat flakes, peaches, coconut, and the rest of the millet mixture. Or add more layers for a thicker parfait style.
6. Top with remaining flakes and lemon zest
7. Chill overnight.
8. Slice up 1 banana or other fruit of your choice and top with a dollop of vanilla yogourt and serve for a healthy and delicious breakfast.